Day 15: Joanie at the Beach
4" x 4", oil on gessobord
Today is the half-way mark!
I got so busy working on this painting last night, I forgot to update the blog. I'm trying to get a couple "in the bank" for the days I'll be away. I went upstairs to work around 9:30, looked at the clock at just before 11:00, and the next thing I knew, it was midnight. That's what I call flow. I haven't experienced that with my art in a long time. Welcome back!
I've been wanting to try people. They're hard. They're hard to do "right." I can see many things wrong with this picture. For example, I have trouble with noses. I make them too long. I've never studied anatomy, and I don't plan to start. I've taken The Portrait (as he calls it) with Andrew Lattimore. I'll never be able to do that kind of work, so pffft! There it is.

I also like illustration. Above, I reinvented an old photo of my mom, which was in black and white. I had fun with the colors, and the invented swirls in her hair. She was probably in her twenties, and she was beautiful. She taught me how to see. She had a tremendous amount of "raw materials" (natural ability), as Fred calls it. I remember this lesson so clearly. I was around eight years old, and I drew a big picture of a girl's face from my head. Since I am cock-eyed (another Fred-ism) the face I drew was cock-eyed. She had me hold it up to a mirror to show me this, and then I understood, and could see what was off. I've never forgotten that lesson. I held Joanie up to the mirror. Still didn't get the glasses or anything quite symmetrical, oh well.

Not comparing myself here,
but hey, I'm in good company
in the long nose department.
Modigliani - Busto de mulher

I decided to paint from a photo for several reasons.
1. I had a warning twinge in my left shoulder on Day 14. I've been painting standing up, eye-level, arms raised, every day for two weeks. I've had frozen shoulders, owwww, I have no desire to repeat that experience.
2. I'm tired of still life(s?)(lives?)
3. I felt like it. Time to change it up. Ask my husband about my attention span.

Day 14: Big Bulb
"I'll paint a bulb of garlic," I said. "It'll be easy," I said. Hah! Not at all. Some deceptively simple-looking subjects have turned out to be the hardest. That's all. Thanks for listening.

4" x 4", oil on gessobord
*fyi: I DO know how to spell "board". This is how Ampersand Gessobord brand spells it.


Comments

Popular Posts